Pages

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Chocolate Pudding

A lot of Izzy's favorite things, that he misses the most, use cornstarch.  He begs for things he used to love- pop tarts, pudding, pies, "kid" yogurt, and more.  I have been able to find good, and sometimes even organic, substitutes for these cravings, but one that I haven't found is pudding.  The majority of recipes that I have or have found include eggs- another "no-no" in  his EE diet.  My grandma gave me some great ideas and a recipe for homemade chocolate pudding without cornstarch, and I'll post it here.  I hope some families reading this blog will be able to use it to make their kids happy, too. :) 



Homemade Chocolate Pudding
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup baking cocoa
  • 3 tablespoons potato starch
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • whipped topping (optional)

Directions:  In a 2 quart heavy saucepan, combine the first four ingredients. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook on low-medium, stir frequently . Cook until thickened, continuing to stir frequently, until thickened. Stir in vanilla. Allow to cool somewhat in the pot before pouring into individual serving dishes; cover each dish with plastic wrap, refrigerate to cool completely. Garnish with whipped topping (Cool Whip, whipped cream, etc.)  if desired. 

 

In case you didn't realize it, cornstarch and potato starch can be substituted for each other 1:1 in recipes, and I haven't noticed a taste or texture difference.  Corn starch does give a little clearer gel when cooked alone, but in puddings and pies you'll never notice and I am sure your taste buds won't care about that difference, anyway!  

Enjoy~ Bea

No comments:

Post a Comment